Church of San Giorgio Maggiore of Andrea Palladio
The Church of San Giorgio Maggiore is a building of the Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. The facade is shaped like a classical temple, with a single entrance, with four columns with composite capitals, with an entablature above holding a classic eardrum. It is noteworthy that Palladio used the combination of a classical temple and a building as a church. It was completed in 1565.
Behind a shiny marble facade is hidden a polished interior that gives a feeling of spaciousness. In the three floors of the church you can admire several paintings by Tintoretto. The interior is formed by barrel vaults and attached columns with composite capitals.
Andrea Palladio was an important Italian architect of the Republic of Venice. He worked mainly in the city of Vicenza and its surroundings, and in Venice itself. He is considered the architect who perhaps knew best how to combine the heritage of classical forms with the reality of the central moment of the Cinquecento.
This church belongs to the Italian Cinquecento, eveloped in the Rome of the Popes. The anthropocentrism was developed and adapted the Christian religion. The Renaissance comes from the idea of recovering the classical art. One of the basic clue is the proportion. They recover the classical orders, but alter the proportions. In the early XV century, begins a slow process consisting in the recovery of models of Classical Antiquity. It started and soon became very popular in Italy, where the memory of Roman art could be seen every day. So the Renaissance, word given by the painter Vasari, refers to the revival of Greco-Roman culture.
In conclusion, this church is one very spectacular to see live because of the panorama of the scenario that has, near the sea. A delight for the eyes, no doubt.It is in the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, facing the Piazzetta in Venice, Italy.